Student Research Volunteers
Thank you for your interest in volunteering with UCSF Fresno. Our institution has numerous research projects in need of data collection at any given time, and these studies provide an excellent opportunity for volunteers to gain exposure into the biomedical field. In order to be considered as a volunteer for our institution, the below application must be returned to our volunteer coordinator along with a letter of recommendation and your CV/resume. Faculty mentors and research coordinators will reach out to you directly when a position becomes open and will guide you through the next steps of the process. We are very fortunate to have a great deal of community interest in volunteering and this interest often exceeds our available positions, though new opportunities are always arising.
Please see the following requirements & important information:
- Your application does not guarantee placement with a mentor/project, but it does guarantee you will be placed on a list of prospective volunteers accessible by all UCSF Fresno faculty for at least one year.
- Once selected, volunteers are required to complete the appropriate UCSF Fresno and CRMC paperwork (provided to the volunteer upon selection), as well as comply with the following:
- Volunteer must have evidence of a recent (within 1 year) TB test and current seasonal flu shot, if applicable and a host of other required immunizations.
- Volunteer must take CITI Training.
- Volunteer must pass our background check – ($35 to be paid by applicant)
- Once all documentation has been supplied and request to volunteer has been approved, applicant must attend HIPAA training as scheduled by the Dean’s office.
- Once CRMC has cleared an applicant, they must take EPIC training.
- Volunteer must be added to the study via the Institutional Review Board (IRB). This can take a few weeks, so request should be done immediately.
- Failure to complete any step of the above results in immediate disqualification from conducting research with UCSF Fresno.
- Volunteers must commit to at least 6 – 8 weeks of work on a research project, unless prior arrangements are made between the volunteer and faculty mentor.
- Volunteer must follow the provided dress code.
- Volunteers must not have clinical observerships/shadowing within their research time.
- Volunteers are provided a badge and if applicable, appropriate accesses.
- Faculty are not limited to one research volunteer at a time.
- Individuals without a social security number cannot conduct research with the hospital. No exceptions.
- Volunteer must be aged 16 or older.
- Please be aware that it can take up to 6 weeks to clear a volunteer once all paperwork is received, so allow for plenty of time.
CLICK HERE TO DOWNLOAD THE VOLUNTEER APPLICATION FORM (MS Word document)
If you have additional questions regarding volunteer opportunities, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.