Due to our location, the referral area extends throughout the Central Valley of California for a 100-mile radius. Residents experience a wide range of pathology with varying levels of acuity. As a current resident stated “At UCSF Fresno, you don’t just read about crazy pathology, you get to actually see it every single day”. Our procedural opportunities are nationally in the range of 50th- 90th percentile for obstetrical and gynecologic procedures.
The cultural richness of the Central Valley makes the region a living laboratory for significant population-based research.
Outside of patient care and research, Fresno offers the feel of big city life with a small town ease and don’t forget about the affordable cost of living. Check out our Fresno Living page to see all the wonderful experiences Fresno can provide.
Our community-based, university-sponsored structure provides unique training under both the academic and private practice models and provides a multitude of opportunities to address significant health disparities in California’s San Joaquin Valley.
Residents receive a hands on experience by working directly with subspecialist in the inpatient and outpatient settings including the operating room. This is aided by the fact that there are no fellows in our program.
There is a plethora of teaching opportunities within our program. We currently help train two (2) separate Family Medicine programs, one (1) Emergency Medicine program and third (3rd) and fourth (4th) year medical students. In addition, we have outreach programs that allow our residents the opportunity to help educate middle-high school and college students that are interested in a health care profession.
The San Joaquin Valley is one of the fastest growing and most diverse regions in the state with Fresno being the fifth largest city in the state. The current population is almost 500k with the greater Fresno area reaching almost 1 million.
In Fresno County alone, there are over 70 distinct ethnic groups. To help meet the distinct health care needs of the Valley, UCSF Fresno is committed to providing and fostering an academic and working environment that embraces and supports the diverse characteristics, beliefs and affiliations of its faculty, staff and trainees.
Our commitment to inclusion and diversity is reflected in our Principles of Community.
Program Facts and Features
- Community Regional Medical Center (CRMC) is home to more than 5000 births annually, plus high risk OB referrals from fifteen hospital in a region delivering 50,000 babies per year.
- CRMC is one of the businest ERs in California and the only Level 1 trauma center and burn unit between Sacramento and Los Angeles.
- Only tertiary care center in the San Joaquin Valley
- Serves as the region’s only maternal-fetal transport providing training for residents in all levels of obstetrical care.
- Dual console da Vinci Robot surgical system
- 100% pass rate for qualifying board exam (residents who started program)
- Receive almost 100 residency applications per open position (4 position each year)
- Nationally are in the range of 50th- 90th percentile for obstetrical and gynecologic procedures
- Long history of holding the Chair and Vice Chair positions for ACOG, District IX, Section 3