Physician Assistant (PA) and Nurse Practitioner (NP) Student Electives Policy
UCSF Fresno accepts Physician Assistant (PA) and Nurse Practitioner (NP) students in a limited manner based on clinical department availability and approval.
Physician Assistant students must be enrolled in good standing in a program accredited by The Accreditation Review Commission on Education for the Physician Assistant (ARC-PA) and Nurse Practitioner students enrolled in good standing in an accredited program. All 4-week clinical rotations are subject to department approval and based on volume and needs of the clinical service or department.
P.A. and NP students are required to APPLY here for elective rotation PA 120 or NP 120
- Please enter your preferred elective department on the online application notes section. Only Surgery, Neurosurgery and Internal Medicine accepts PA students.
- Please complete the student online student PROFILE along with the application.
- Please note that all rotations dates must be scheduled at least 45 days from date of application.
- No NP or PA surgery electives will be approved for the timeframe June 1 – Aug 31. Please do not apply for dates during this timeframe.
- NP students submit a copy of your surgical protocol if you desire to rotate on surgical ICU to email@example.com
- Copy of C.V. also email to firstname.lastname@example.org
The following items should be emailed to the onboarding coordinator here: email@example.com once the online application is completed and you have received approval to continue to application process.
- Copy of health insurance card
- Letter of good standing from P.A. program administrator (including evidence of background check and malpractice insurance completed).
- Copy of CPR certification
- Copy of current Transcript (unofficial copy acceptable)
- Outpatient onboarding documentation for Family Healthcare Network (All PA and NP rotations except surgical ICU)
- Review guidelines provided by surgery preceptor
- Upon approval of your application, you are required to schedule a phone or in-person interview with the surgery preceptor. Information will be provided.
Rotation approval is subject to clinical department availability. Students will be notified of acceptance of rotation by email. Please wait for approval email prior to submission of the processing fee.
Application Fee – PA and NP students are included in excluded tuition and only must submit the application processing fee of $300 per rotation.
Upon review and acceptance of the application, a non-refundable processing fee of $300 must be submitted. Students will have up to 14 days to submit the processing fee using the
Students must apply for rotations a minimum of 45 days in advance in order for application to be considered. The UME department will not accept last minute rotation requests.
Students are welcome to apply for multiple rotations in different clinical departments. All rotations must be approved by the clinical department.