Sunnyside and Caruthers High Schools Doctors Academy application is closed and no longer accepting applications for Fall 2019.
Selma High School Doctors Academy application is open until December 14, 2018
5 Year Doctors Academy Plans (by school)
The mission of the Doctors Academy is:
1. To increase the number of students who graduate from high school and go on to a university to become competitive applicants to health profession schools.
2. To strengthen the educational pipeline of under-represented or disadvantaged students throughout Fresno County and encourage them to enter a health profession.
Under the auspices of the University of California, San Francisco, Fresno Latino Center for Medical Education and Research, the Doctors Academy is a health professions preparatory high school program. Applicants who are educationally OR economically disadvantaged, and who express an interest in a health professional career are eligible to apply to the Doctors Academy.
- Educationally Disadvantaged: For the purpose of program eligibility, an applicant is considered educationally disadvantaged if he or she is the first in the immediate family to obtain a BA/BS degree or higher. [Applicants who have at least one parent/guardian with a BA/BS degree or higher are considered ineligible for the Doctors Academy.]
– OR –
- Economically Disadvantaged: For the purpose of program eligibility, an applicant is considered economically disadvantaged if he or she was eligible for the Free and Reduced Lunch Program (Title I services) and/or whose middle school is considered a Title I school during the 8th grade year. [Applicants who did not qualify for Title I services due the parent/guardian income level are considered ineligible to apply for the Doctors Academy.]
IF YOU ARE ELIGIBLE, PLEASE CONTINUE WITH THE APPLICATION PROCESS
Selection criteria is based on:
- GPA of 2.8 or better
- Two Recommendation Forms
- Health Disparity Essay Statement
- Personal Statement Essay
- Personal Interview (for finalist only)
- A writing sample may be required for finalists
Expectations of Doctors Academy students:
1. Enroll in the most rigorous, accelerated classes with an emphasis on math, science, and English. (Honors & Advanced Placement)
2. Commit to the Doctors Academy five-year study plan
3. Maintain a 2.8 academic grade point average (GPA)
4. Participate in all summer enrichment and summer school programs
5. Participate in study academies, study trips, and other activities
6. All out of school area transfer students accepted into the Doctors Academy Program will be responsible for their own transportation.
7. Students who are dropped or choose to withdraw from the Doctors Academy will return to their home high school if it is other than the Doctors Academy site.
- Interviews for finalists will be held in January
- Notices of acceptances will be sent in February