The Health Careers Opportunity Program is a partnership between the University of California, San Francisco Fresno Latino Center for Medical Education and Research and California State University Fresno (Fresno State) to provide support to disadvantaged Fresno State students committed to becoming competitive applicants to health professional schools.
Selected students engage in a structured program of academic enrichment and social support, preparing them for admission into health professional school. The ultimate goal is for these individuals to become healthcare professionals that will practice in the Central Valley, providing care to the medically underserved.
Applications are currently NOT being accepted. Please check back periodically for updates.
1. High school seniors that have been accepted into Fresno State or are in the application process
Fresno State students.
2. Applicants must have a strong interest in medicine, pharmacy, dentistry or allied health.
3. Applicants must be either educationally or economically disadvantaged.
4. Minimum cumulative GPA of 3.0.
5. Applicants must submit a completed application which includes an official transcript, personal statement, financial documents, and a letter of recommendation. Finalists will be selected for a personal interview.
Awards and Benefits
As an HCOP Scholar you will …
• Benefit from a supportive network of students like you, pursuing health careers!
• Receive support and advising from program staff
• Participate in a stipend-paid college transition summer program
• Participate in monthly guest speaker and professional development seminars
• Receive tutoring for science & math courses
• Participate in an MCAT prep course
• Engage with local area physicians
• Attend pre-medical conferences
• Participate in a stipend-paid Summer Clinical and Community Internship in the Central Valley
• Receive health professional school application assistance
• Be eligible to receive a $250 bookstore gift certificate
• Have access to a Scholar Study Center
Complete On-line Electronic Application by clicking the button below.
The following items will need to be collected and sent in by the program deadline.
- Letter of Recommendation (click here to download form)
- Unofficial academic transcript
- Copy of FAFSA or Student Aid Report (if you receive financial aid)
Send documents to:
UCSF Fresno Latino Center
550 E. Shaw Ave. Ste. 210
Fresno, CA 93710-7702
Review your application to make sure it is complete. Incomplete applications will not be considered.
For more information
regarding the HCOP program please call (559) 241-7670