COMMUNITY REGIONAL MEDICAL CENTER
Community Regional Medical Center is truly unrivaled in the region and measures up with top hospitals nationally. Located on a 58-acre campus in downtown Fresno, Community Regional is an academic-affiliated medical center with more than 600 beds. Its 56,000-square-foot emergency department is one of the largest and busiest in California, and it is home to the region’s only burn and Level 1 trauma centers.
Since completing a 340,000-square-foot, six-story trauma and critical care building in 2007, Community Regional has added a 52-bed Neuroscience Center of Excellence dedicated to brain and spine patients, a 50-bed cardiovascular unit with state-of-the-art monitoring equipment and private rooms, and a 65-bed Level III neonatal intensive care unit for the most fragile newborns.
Community Regional Medical Center
2823 Fresno St.
Fresno, CA 93721
From our modest beginning in 1897 — when Fresno physicians formed a private hospital by joining forces with Celia Burnett, the proprietor of an already successful boarding house — to our recent completion of a regional medical center, Community Medical Centers’ rich history spans a century of commitment to the Central Valley and its residents.
Within a decade of opening, Burnett Sanitarium had outgrown the former boardinghouse and built a three-story building at the corner of Fresno and S streets. The hospital expanded in 1916 into the five-story Burnett Annex that still stands on Community Regional’s 58-acre downtown campus. By then, the hospital had earned a reputation as one of the most modern hospitals on the West Coast, a reputation that has been revived today with technology such as the 64-slice CT scanner that provides head-to-toe views within five seconds and the G4 CyberKnife® that precisely attacks tumors with tiny multiple beams of radiation, eliminating the need for anesthesia and a hospital stay.
In 1945, the non-profit corporation that would become Community Medical Centers purchased Burnett Sanitarium and renamed it Fresno Community Hospital. The hospital continued expanding in 1959, opening a 204-bed, five-story building, and then adding another 69 beds in 1963. By 1972 Fresno Community’s 10-story tower was complete.
Fresno City Council paved the way for our current campus in 1995, approving development of Community Regional Medical Center. The next year a merger with Fresno County was cemented and Community assumed management for Valley Medical Center, renamed it University Medical Center, and began making plans to eventually consolidate most services into one hospital.
Construction on the regional medical center began in 2000 and was aided by a $10 million gift in 2003 from Table Mountain Rancheria. Much of that helped build the Trauma and Critical Care Building. The TCCB tower was completed in 2004 and our first patients were treated in new cardiac catheterization labs. The next year, the emergency department moved to the first floor of trauma building becoming the largest in California, covering the equivalent of a football field with 68 beds.
Community Regional marked many firsts after that, becoming the first in the world to offer the new ‘CyberKnife Gen4’ technology and the first in the Valley with bi-plane angiography to provide three-dimensional imaging and help patients avoid more invasive procedures for aneurysms, clotted arteries, stroke and spinal disease.
In 2007, Community made good on promises made a decade before to the county and moved all the acute services from UMC – including the Level 1 trauma and burn center – to the downtown campus. UCSF Fresno residents and faculty relocated, as well, to the regional medical center. With the move, UMC closed its emergency department.
Today, after many purchases, mergers, alliances and name changes, our downtown hospital has truly become a regional academic medical center, maintaining close affiliation with UCSF Fresno’s Medical Education Program, training top specialists, offering world-class health care with state-of-the art technology and advanced treatment.