||St. Johns Medical College, Bangalore, India
||St. Johns Medical College, Bangalore, India
||Royal College of Physicians, London, UK
||Pulmonary/Critical Care, Medical University of South Carolina, Charleston
||Du-Pont Critical Care/ACCP Young Investigator Award 1990, American College of Chest Physicians Postdoctoral Research Fellowship Award. Division of Immunology, Medical University of South Carolina, Charleston, SC. 1994 Outstanding teacher award in Clinical Medicine 2005, Faculty of Medicine, UAE University, Al Ain Examiner, Royal College of Physicians: Examiner for PACES clinical examination, 2001-2005
||Consultant to Editorial Board:
||Annals of Internal Medicine from 1992 - 1995 Emirates Medical Journal from 1999
Chest from 2002
International Journal of Infectious Disease from 2003 Archives of Medical Science from 2004 Examiner, Royal College of Physicians: Examiner for PACES clinical examination, 2001-2005
- The role of transforming growth factor-B, decorin and 1 25 dihydroxy vitamin in animal model of granulomatous lung disease induced by Mycobacterium butyricum. 1995-1997, American Lung Association.
- The role of interleukins and transforming growth factor in the pathogenesis of asthma. Hamadan Research Grant Award, Dubai, UAE from 2000 December
- The effect of TGF beta on in vitro production of TH2 cytokines and IgE by PBMC. Hamadan Research Grant Award, Dubai, UAE from 2002 December
- Comparison of Th-1 and Th-2 intracellular cytokine profiles between atopic and non-atopic asthmatics and their [clinical and biological]responses to a leukotriene receptor antagonist or corticosteroid therapy . Interdisciplinary grant, UAEU University, 2003-2005
- Air Pollution, Viral Infection, and Asthma Exacerbation: Application of multiplex Immunoproteomics to Detect Biomarkers in Inflammation and Infection, a Collaborative Research Pilot Project, Fresno Air Board
- Study of Th2/Th1 cytokine profiles in asthmatics and normal controls
- Intracellular cytokine expression in asthma
- Effect of Transforming Growth factor Beat-1 on Th2 cytokines production by PBMC in asthmatics
- Survey of asthma among Al Ain schoolboys using a written questionnaire and video recording (ISAAC).
- The role of Consanguinity in the pathogenesis of asthma in the UAE
- Immunoglobulin Gm and Km allotypes in the pathogenesis of sarcoidosis.1994, Division of Immunology, MUSC, Charleston SC
- Co-Investigator for NIH AR36066-07. “Bone and Mineral Metabolism in Blacks and Whites”. MUSC, USA,1994
- Co-Investigator July 1993-July 1995: Study of TLC-53 in Adult Respiratory Distress Syndrome. MUSC, USA
- Air Pollution, Viral Infection, and Asthma Exacerbation: Application of multiplex Immunoproteomics to Detect Biomarkers in Inflammation and Infection, a Collaborative Research Pilot Project
- Clinical epidemiology of Pulmonary Coccidiodiomycosis in Central Valley, California
- Thomas MJ, Veigas B, Joseph J. Early detection in atypical presentations of rabies. Trop Doct 1986;16:189.
- GS. Basran, Joseph J, A.M.A. Abbas, C. Hughes and GS. Tillotson. Treatment of acute exacerbations of chronic obstructive airways disease a comparison of amoxycillin and ciprofloxacin. J Antimicrob Chemother 1990; 26S:19-24.
- MJ. Smith, Joseph J. G.S. Basran. A study of pleural effusion kinetics in man using a dual isotope method. Nucl Med Commu 1992; 13:432-439.
- Joseph J, Viney S, Beck P, Strange C, Sahn SA, Basran GS. A prospective study of Amylase rich pleural effusion with special reference to amylase isoenzyme analysis. Chest 1992;102:1455-1459.
- Joseph J, Strange C, Sahn SA. Pleural effusions in hospitalized AIDS patients. Ann Intern Med 1993;118:656-859.
- Joseph J, Sahn SA. Connective Tissue Diseases and the Pleura: Chest 1993;104:262-270.
- Dryzer SR,Joseph J, Baumann MH, Birmingham K, Sahn SA, Strange C. Comparison of sclerosing potential between minocycline and tetracycline on rabbit pleura. Chest 1993;104:1585-88.
- Joseph J, Vaughan LM, Basran GS. Penetration of IV and oral ciprofloxacin into sterile and empyemic human pleural fluid. Ann Pharmacother 1994;28:313-315.
- Joseph J, Reed C, Sahn SA. Catamenial pneumothorax, hemoptysis and left hemothorax in a single patient: successful treatment with Talc pleurodesis. Chest 1994;106:1894-1896.
- Joseph J, Harley R, Frye MJ. Bronchiolitis obliterans with organizing pneumonia in AIDS. N Engl J Med 1995;332:273.
- Joseph J, Sahn SA. New observations from an analysis of 107 patients with thoracic endometriosis syndrome. Am J Med 1996; 100:164-170.
- J Joseph, Basran GS, Sahn SA. New Classification Criteria for pleural effusions based on an analysis of 200 cases. Amala Research Bulletin 1996; 16:33-43.
- Joseph J. A lesson in pneumothorax; Emirates Medical Journal December 2000
- Joseph J, Badrinath P, Sahn SA, Basran GS. Is pleural fluid transudate or exudates? A revisit of the diagnostic criteria. Thorax; 2001;56:867-870.
- Joseph J, Badrinath P. On-demand relief treatment for asthma. Lancet 2001, 357:1882
- Joseph J, Badrinath P, Sahn SA, Basran GS. Is albumin gradient or fluid to serum albumin ratio better than the pleural fluid lactate dehydroginase in the diagnostic separation pleural effusion?. BMC Pulm Med; 2002;2:1
- Joseph J, Badrinath P, Basran GS, Sahn SA. Do we need all three criteria for the diagnostic separation of pleural fluid into transudates and exudates? An appraisal of the traditional criteria. Medical Science Monitor 2003;9:474-476
- Joseph J, Benedict S, Badrinath P, Safa W, Joseph M, Abdulkhalik S, Al Ameri M. Raised Plasma Transforming Growth Factor Beta-1 in stable Non-Atopic Asthma. Ann Allergy Asthma Immunol. 2003 Nov; 91:472-6.
- Joseph J, Benedict S, Safa W, Badrinath P, Joseph M , Abdulkhalik S. Mariam MS. Low plasma TGF-ß1 in asthmatics on inhaled steroids. Does it reflect control of airway inflammation? Emirates Medical Journal 2003; 21:160-163
- Joseph J, Benedict S, Safa W, Joseph M, Serum interleukin-5 levels are elevated in mild and moderate persistent asthma irrespective of regular inhaled glucocorticoid therapy. BMC Pulmonary Medicine 2004,4:2
- Joseph J, Shirina Alsowaidi, Benedict Sheela PhD, Safa Wassef, Joseph M. Serum interleukin-13 levels are elevated in mild and moderate persistent asthma.The Internet J Allergy and Asthma 2005;4:2.
- Shaikha Al-Muhairi, T. Zoubeidi PhD, M. Ellis FRCP, W. Safa FRCP, J. Joseph MD, FRCP. Demographics and Microbiological Profile of pneumonia in the UAE. Monaldies Archives of Chest Disease, 2006 in press
- Shaikha Al-Muhairi, T. Zoubeidi PhD, M. Ellis FRCP, W. Safa FRCP, J. Joseph MD, FRCP. Risk Factors predicting outcome in patients with pneumonia in Al Ain, UAE. Saudi M. J 2006;27:447-51
- M. Ellis, C. Frampton , Jose Joseph, H. Alizadeh, J. Kristensen, A. Hauggaard, F. Shammas. An open study of the comparative efficacy and safety of Caspofungin and liposomal amphotericin B in treating invasive fungal infections or febrile neutropenia in patients with hematological malignancy. J Med Microbiol, 2006;55:1357-1365.
- Miller CJ, Joseph J, Safa W, Flood PE, Dunn EV, Huda Moh’d Shaheen. Accurasy of Arabic versions of three asthma symptoms questionnaires against a clinical diagnosis by two respioratory physicians. J Asthma, 2007;40:29-34.
- Merchant M, Romero AO, Libke RD, Joseph J. Pleural effusion in hospitalized patients with Coccidioidomycosis. Respir Med. 2007 Dec 28
- M. Joseph FAAP, T. Zoubeidi PhD , Sherina M. Al-Dhaheri, Shamma J. Al-Muhairi, Noura K, J. Joseph. Consanguinity increases the risk of childhood asthma among girls in the United Arab Emirates. J Asthma 2009; 46:2,175 — 178
- Channabasaviah A, Joseph J. Thoracic endometriosis: Revisiting the Association Between Clinical Presentation and Thoracic Pathology Based on Thoracoscopic Findings in 110 Patients. Medicine Volume 89, Number 3, May 2010
Chitra Kandaswamy, M.D, M.P.H, Garrett Bird, M.D., C.M, Narinder Gill, M.D., Edward Math, M.D, Jose Joseph Vempilly, M.D. Severe Tracheomalacia in ICU: Identification of diagnostic Criteria and risk factor analysis from a case control study. Respiratory Care• Feb 2013 VOL 58 NO 2.
Lung Volume Abnormalities And Its Correlation To Spirometric and demographic variables In Adult Asthma V.Jain, Belaynaih Abejie, M. Bashir, T.Tyner, Jose Joseph Vempilly, Journal of Asthma 2013. In press.
An Unusual Case of Resistant Hepatic Hydrothorax Treated with Octreotide Infusion. MD, Mehrdad Ghahremani-Ghajar, DO, Scott Y.Harada, MD and Mostafa Tabassomi, MD. Jose Joseph Vempilly MD, FCCP. McGill Journal of Medicine. 2013 In Press.
Monographs and Book Chapters:
- Basran GS, Joseph J., Abbas A, Hughes C, and Tillotson G. Ciprofloxacin in chronic bronchitis-Analysis of an ongoing study. In PM Shaw, Ciprofloxacin in Pulmonology II; 1992, W Zukschwert Verlag Munchen Bern; pp 16-20.
- Joseph J, Sahn SA. Pleuropulmonary manifestations of pancreatic disease. Pulmonary and Critical Care Update 1993; Vol.9:1-6.
- Joseph J, Sahn SA. Pleural Disease in AIDS. Pulmonary and Critical Care Update 1994; Vol.10. “
- Joseph J, Lynch JP, Sahn SA. Effusions from collagen vascular disease. In Text book of pleural disease, Edited by Light and Lee; 370-381. 2003, Arnold, London
- Joseph J, Sahn SA. Thoracic Endometriosis. Up Todate 2010
- J Joseph, Sahn SA. Pleural effusions in AIDS. Up Todate 2010
- Joseph J, Smith MJ, Flatman WD, and Basran GS. A study of pleural effusion formation and drainage in man using a dual isotope technique .. Nucl Med Commu. 1990;11:180-181.
- GS. Basran, Joseph J, AM.A Abbas, C, Hughes, GS. Tillotson. The treatment of acute exacerbations of chronic bronchitis, a comparative study of Ciprofloxacin and Amoxycillin. Chest 1990;98:23S.
- GS. Basran, Joseph J, A.M.A .. Abbas, C. Hughes, M. Hitchen, GS. Pharmacokinetics of Ciprofloxacin in pleural fluid. Tillotson. Chest 1990;98:139S.
- GS. Basran, Joseph J, SM. Viney, P. Beck. Increased pleural fluid LDH isoenzyme in Mesothelioma. The European Respiratory Journal. 1989:VoI.2;694s.
- Joseph J, MJ. Smith, GS. Basran. Chest 1990;98:138S. A study of pleural effusion kinetics in man using a dual isotope method.
- Joseph J, L. Hampton, MH. Baumann, SA Sahn. Pleural effusions are common in advanced AIDS. Am Rev Respir Dis 1992;145:A870.
- Joseph J, K. Birmingham, SA. Sahn, C. Strange, MH. Baumann. Pleural . mesothelial cells and fibroblast express TGFB binding sites Am Rev Respir Dis 1992;145:A470.
- Joseph J, Sahn SA. New observations from an analysis of 107 patients with thoracic endometriosis syndrome (TES). Am J R Crit Care Med. 1994;149:A1105.
- Joseph J, Dev D, Basran GS, Sahn SA. Kinetics of pleural effusion formation and drainage in man: observations from 43 patients. Am J R Grit Care Med. 1994;149:A1106.
- Joseph J, Sahn SA, Bell N. Transforming Growth Factor-Beta in the modulation of chronic granulomatous inflammation in an animal model. Slide presentation at the 1996 ATS Conference for symposium on sarcoidosis.
- Joseph J, Badrinath P, Sahn SA, Basran GS .. A comparison of pleural effusion classification criteria using ROC analysis in 200 patients. ACCP 66th Annual International Scientific Assembly. October 2000, San Francisco, CA.
- Joseph J, Benedict S, Wafa S, Badrinath P, Joseph M , Abdulkhalik S. Mariam MS, Amin AI Amiri. Serum interleukinsand transforming growth factor beta-1in a stable adult population of asthmatics in the United Arab Emirates. Am J Resp Crit Med;165:A557.
- Joseph J, Benedict S, Wafa S, Badrinath P, Joseph M , Abdulkhalik S. Does raised plasma TGF beta-1 point to a different triggering mechanism in non-atopic asthma. Chest 2002; 122: 187S.
- Joseph J, S. Benedict, W. Safa,. Joseph M, S. Abdulkhalik Influence of inhaled steroids on serum interleukin-5 and interleukin-13 in an adult population of stable "asthmatics, European Respiratory Journal, September 2003; 22:S291
- Joseph J, Benedict S, Safa W, Joseph M Effect of orla prednisolone on serum IL-5, IgE and TGF beta-1 in asthmatics. Am J Respir Grit Care Med 2004; 169:A575
- Joseph J, S. Benedict, M.Joseph, B. AI-Ramadi. Transforming growth factor beta-1 may upregulate IFN-gamma production by PBMGs from asthmatics and normal control. Federation of Clinical Immunologist Society meeting, May12, 2005, Boston, USA.
- Risk factors predicting outcome in hospitalized patients with pneumonia in the Middle East. Al-Muhairi, T. Zoubeidi PhD, M. Ellis FRCP, W. Safa FRCP, J. Joseph MD, FRCP. European Respiratory Society Congress. September 19, 2005 Copenhagen.
- Predictors of Mortality in Hospitalized patients with Coccidioidomycosis . Oliver Romero Maryum Merchant , Robert D Libke , Jose Joseph. American Thoracic Society, May 2008, Toronto.
- Anita Channabasaviah, J. Joseph. Thoracic endometriosis syndrome: New clinical and thoracoscopic findings from an analysis of 108 cases American Thoracic Society, May 2008, Toronto.
Anitha Channabasaviah, J. Patel, J. Joseph, M.Sheikh, M. Peterson. Microvascular blood flow may predict worsening ARDS. ATS 2009, San Diego, CA
A.O. Romero, , R Raoufi, R Utarnachitt, R Libke, J Joseph. Clinical profile and outcomes in hospitalized patients with coccidioidal meningitis. ATS 2009, San Diego, CA
Urinary Quinones may be a biomarker for exposure to ambient PM2.5. J. Joseph, A. Hasson, T. Tyner. ATS 2009, San Diego, CA
Patel J, Emtiazjoo, A, Hamidjaja L, Pavlova, R, Tseng, W, Magallanes, D, Soon, A, Joseph, J. Effect of PM2.5 and Ozone level on emergency room visits for respiratory illness in Fresno.
Escobar A, Acharaya T, A Soon and Joseph J. Predictors of severe respiratory Failure in H1N1 Pneumonia. ATS 2010, New Orleans, LA
Chitra Kandaswamy, Joseph VJ. Clinical risk factors and and Radiological features of Tracheo-bronchmalacia. ATS 2010, New Orleans, LA
Escobar A, Baskir, M, Claes, D J Joseph. RV/TLC ratio is a better criterion for diagnosing obstruction in asthma, ATS, May 2011. Denver, CO
The predictors of abnormal residual volume in asthma. Jose V. Joseph1, Andres Escobar1, M. Bashir1, Dale Cales, ACCP, Honolulu, October 2011.
Abnormal RV/TLC is a beter index for diagnosing obstruction in asthma. Ali Rashidian1, Dale Claes, Andres Escobar, Thitiwat Sriprasart , Cathleen Mueller, Tim Tyner1, Jose Joseph Vempilly. ACCP October 2012, Atlanta,USA.